August 25, 2012

OB 1st Annual Family Tech Week & More!


So another brain child, well it wasn't my idea really. My good friend Carol Kliesen and the Spoede Elementary family have been doing this for years, but I am making plans to have the 1st annual OB Family Tech Week!!!!
 The week will be dedicated to sharing technology projects, assignments, resources, and tools students have explored all year. We are inviting their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.. to see what they have created. How cool will it be for the kids to be the teachers and show their parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles how to use technology? This year we will focus in the computer lab, but eventually I would like to grow this and push it into classrooms too.
I have set a date. It will be May 13-16th 2013! Stay tuned for more information. I will have  Save the Date cards soon.


I have lots of ideas for students to use different web resources such as Animoto, Glogster, and Prezi, and of course many others to make really cool projects, but  I seem to run into the same problem with each one. They require students to have email addresses. Elementary students don't have email addresses. I finally found a resource online that is a sure fix for this, and I am so happy to try it out. Using Gmail to create multiple customized email address with one email address. All of the messages/confirmations come straight to the one email address.
Check out the video  Multiple Gmail Accounts with one



This week in computer lab we also focused on Internet Safety. Using your Netsmartz, and Good Netiquette. Nettie and Clicky really helped make learning this fun. I used netsmartz.org to teach the concepts. They have some great videos, and plenty of lessons and resources. Check out Routers Birthday Surprise and Bad Netiquette Stinks
One video I really enjoy showing is Predator. It is a video I found on the website isafe.org. It shows the dangers kids could face by meeting someone in person they met online. Check it out!

Next week I will teach Kindergarteners how to log in and out of a computer. What fun! What fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment